Woo-hoo! (Hmm, I don't use that very often--it sounds silly!) I now have a YouTube Channel! And one measley little video on it! :) That happens to be my Florida Cow Cavalry Promo...Check it out and give me some feed-back. I got the idea Thursaday while doing the 'flooded creek shoot'. I did a couple of rough-draft takes on it that afternoon. Yesterday, after deciding on what I wanted to say, I went out there and blabbed at the camera for at least on hour and a half. 17 takes + some (if you count the 2-3 times in some clips). I used 4 different locations (all around the bayhead) and a couple different positions. I finally settled on a head-on, straight to the camera style. Once I came in and settled on the take I was going to use, I plopped down at the piano and played my rendition of Dixie half a dozen times. The one I used fits amazingly! (I think...)

Other than forgetting what I was supposed to say, or mixing my words up, the biggest thing that went 'wrong' was those stinkin' bull frogs! In a pause in the words, I'd get this big ol' "gruck". Actually is was kind of funny once I realized what it was. I was keeping a close eye out for gators and snakes! I was carrying the .22 pistol, not that that would be much good on a gator--unless I shot him right through the eyeballs...but anyway. I was thankful that it was just bull frogs and lizards interupting me.


'Bites' refer to the first part of the outdoor adventure. I shot some more video. I haven't looked at it yet, however, so I can't tell you how it looks. Anyway, I got some more creek shots (overflowed creek, by the way), and some of me standing there blabbing. I'm toying with a 'teaser trailer' idea. I found out that I can turn the LCD screen all the way around and so I can stand in front of the camera and watch myself! That was pretty neat. And no, I'm not being narcissitic--it really is helpful...that way I didn't have to record--then go check where I showed up at in the frame. I also used a filter, so I look forward to seeing how that turned out.

'Bits', 'Bucks', and 'Bounces' refers to the second, more grueling part of the afternoon. I first had to fight the bit into Snip's mouth. I didn't exactly lose my temper, but I came awful close. I'm tired of his dumb fighting. He knows how to take the bit--he just makes me work at it. Brat.

Almost as soon as I got on him and took him through the gate ('the' gate...ha! as many gates as there is on this property that is rather undiscriptive), the bad boy started to actually buck! Now this wasn't any of that half-hearted trying stuff that he's done before, either. I guess I'm an okay horsewoman 'cause I stayed on--even after my feet (or at least one of them) came out of the stirrups. I kept my head and a steady pressure on the reins. I'm a tad sore in a strange place, but I don't know if that is from the bucking or the other almost 'Racheal went flying' moment. That happened at the other end of the pasture.

Snip decided, as he streached his neck into a faster run, that he wanted to go down that little hill to the wet creek area. Uh-huh. Well, all was fine (as far as my seat went) until he skipped through a bull hole and continued his left-ward drift; speeding up as he did so. Left foot took to the sky. I came *this close* (hold up fingers) to cracking my head into the ground again. (If I had, at least it would have been squishy--that whole area is wet and boggy right now.) I hung on to the saddle horn, pulled on the reins, squoze with my knees (as hard as I could while bouncing down a hill), and tried to throw my weight to the left. Well, I guess it worked because I stayed on and got the stinker stopped.

He really wanted to RUN RUN RUN today. So even though it was hot, I ran him. There were no 'sweet Snippy' feelings today. It was 'Boy, you are going to behave.' I was somewhat more forceful--I'm thinking that is what he needs. Reading pro's writing they make it sound so easy: you ask--and give the animal time to respond--but some how I think they do a bit more 'making' the horse behave than they let on. Snip finally decided that he would at least pretend he was paying attention to me. It was after that that I quit. I needed a drink.

Stink pot. Anyhow...it isn't like I have even been naughty! :)


Some surprises, like the one I received this morning, are exciting. This surprise also put some new life into my fire over the Cow Cavalry.

You see, I checked my e-mail as usual this morning, really not expecting anything of any import. I got two e-mails of interest; but only one of them needs be mentioned for this post. A certain gentleman contacted me with an offer of any assitance that he could provide concerning my Cow Cavalry documentary! Of all places that he found out about me was off this here blog. He said that he stumbled on my blog while doing some research. Personally, I don't know what I said that made him so fired up interested; I went back and read what I said before on the subject and I don't see how any of it was that awesome. But anyhow, I shot off an answering e-mail and got another in exchange. To that one I also sent an answer, going into a little more depth about the project and what goes on in my brain.

On a related note, I really need to get down there to the creek and get some more footage before the water goes down. We have had a tropical storm over us for days so the water is up back there. But I'm sticking to the house today on account of the sunburn I contracted yesterday. Boy, is it a beaut! :) It also hurts in a couple of spots. It is nice and sunny, so that it is a bit of a bummer that I would want to stay in... 


Ho-hum. Today was the day to rotate the cows. So, I went out and after a good long fight, in which I had to go get Savannah for assistance, finally got the bit in Snip's mouth. Saddling took just moments after the bit was inserted.

The wind was (still is) blowing like crazy, so that didn't help matters any. For some reason wind makes Snip frisky and less complient. It also didn't help that almost as soon as I mounted the sky start hurling some big and somewhat painful raindrops at the ground. Snip put his rump towards the south and wouldn't move. My back got soaked. Finally he got moving. I rode over to the west gate and opened that. We goofed off for a few minutes in the north pasture trying to encourage the cows to start moving. They were a bit skeerdy since they didn't know what a horse/person combination is. They sort of know me, so I think that helped keep them from really going nuts.

Well, I left them to themselves after a bit and zipped off and opened the gate into the woods--on the south. Then I tried to get Snip to go ankle deep in the flooded creek area. He was like, "Uh-uh...I ain't  goin' to do that!!" Finally he did get a bit wetter than he wanted.

After that I returned to the north side and went back and opened the gap gate. From there I came up behind the cows and gently started pushing them toward the open gate. Snip behaved himself wonderfully. The only animal I felt I really needed to keep an eye on was 'Gorillia Cow'. She's been a bit more obsinate lately. Eventaully, she decided to move. I followed her, but gave her plenty of room--don't crowd a hairy cow :) When she stopped, I did. Then I'd move Snip in one or two steps and stop again. It worked.

Once I got them all moved I shut the gate (I did a lot of on and off today!) Then I did some serious galloping (oh yes, that was after I rode him down the drive way and checked the mail! More gate work...) I didn't work much on circles, but just simple weaving. That row of old orange tree stumps is great for that--including the close proximity to the electric wire. It keeps him from going too far 'thataway'...but also it helps with his trust in me that I won't run him into anything. (I wish I could say the same. Some times I abort an action simply because I have this sixth sense that he's going to drag my leg on something. It happened not to long ago. I'm just glad we weren't going super fast when it happened or tht would have really hurt.)

The whole ride there was wind and on and off sprinkle. Perfect training weather! :) :)
(Inside joke ;} )


Well, he wasn't quite sure of that once he got here...but I think he'll be fine.

I rode the fat bay from where he had been being kept to Granddaddy's this afternoon. I think it is about 3-4 miles. To start with, he didn't want to leave through the front gate so I had to get off and walk him out and across the road. I figured riding over next to the orange groves would be safer. I was grateful to the people who, when they drove by, slowed down and eased over to a more central position on the road. I didn't have too much problem.

At one point, a guy on a porch hollered at me that the flank strap was dragging. (Not suprising, seeing as I barely got it hooked anyway--Snipper's gotten FAT!) Once I finally realized what he said (it was rather far), I grabbed the strap and stuck it up behind me on the saddle. I also yelled, "THANK-YOU!!" back to him.

Anytime I passed a place where there are horses, Snip almost started dancing. After passing the bridge, which was an adventure in and of it's self, the pony that lives right there literally came galloping up. I had to fight Snip to get him to keep going forward. At one point I kicked him and smacked his rump with the reigns at the same time and he reared up on me (not very far, but enough that it was noticable). I had no problem staying on and after that he moved off like he was supposed to.

Back to the bridge though. I arrived and urged him forward. He would not step on the wood. I got off and lead him out a bit. Once he seemed comfortable, I got back on. The whole time, a car was sitting there, waiting patiently for me to cross. I was quite thankful. (Like as not they were enjoying the show.) After about two steps, a truck comes up (I've seen this truck many times.) Well, Snip starts backing up, even though the truck also stopped. I had to get off again and lead him off the bridge. The man in the truck, on the upper side of 50, I'd guess, asked me who I was. I told him and added, that I was my granddad's grandaughter :) For some reason I had a feeling that he knew Granddaddy. As soon as I told him, he grinned and said, "Oh!" in a very understanding tone of voice and added something like I "should know what you are doing then". I made sure I mentioned that I was still training the booger. I stayed off and calmed Snip while he drove off and the other waiting vehicles (for now there were two) crossed the bridge.

We made it home safely. I grinned like an idiot a couple of times on the ride and I talked to Snip almost the whole time--as much for my nervousness as for his. I was suprised that I wasn't more nervous than I was. Snip...well, it was all new and he was curious...which means he wasn't as well behaved as he might have been. Of course, it surely didn't help that he hadn't been ridden in a week. (At least.)

And what was the weirdest? Well, the fact that half-way up the driveway, he turned toward the south and whinnied. I have only heard him whinny, maybe three times before...he's a silent kind of animal. At anyrate, this was the first time I've heard him whinny while I've been on him.


So I finally got the pictures from J.P. and Debora's wedding up.

I thought I would post some other random pictures of me and stuff...
This is my Uncle L. look :)
This is 'Blah'...you would understand if you heard her.
I'm impressed with how great my hair looks here. It is quite obvious that Savannah braided it and not me!
Mock Gibson Girl hair-do...
So, maybe you enjoyed these...maybe you didn't. Anyway, I have to scoot...I'm finally getting around to doing my lighting test. I interview "Cousin Hank" (aka Mr. Hendry) tomorrow!


Yesterday, I started out working on the horse lot. I got three posts in the ground--two for the H-frame and the dead-man. I was ready to put the cross-bar on when I realized I had no nails. I looked in the barn, truck, garage, and house. None. (At least the size I needed.) So, I plowed off to Do It Best. I found the nails I needed and picked up a couple of pakages of zip-ties--for use as stays :)

I came home just in time--the two W. brothers, Ricky and Tommy, who helped us work cows today, were just fixing to head of into the pasture and to the pens, with the others. Anyway, we got everything figured out. Then was lunch.

As Ricky had said that we would need more worm-medicine (which turns out we didn't--Daddy was right, there was plenty), I headed to Smith's. While Skyping with Daddy after lunch, I must have mentioned that there were some work in the pens that needed to be done. So, I also got some boards at Smiths. That was--to say the least--interesting. First off, I drove back to where I figured the wood would have been. Well, nobody came out and I wasn't sure, so I started to drive up to the front of the building--I was going to talk to the 'old man' (disrespectful I know, but somehow I doubt he would really mind), since he knows who I am and I know who he is--sort of. Anyway, a tall, skinny, long-haired, drummer-player looking dude is standing there. I slowed down and then backed up a bit. A big "hint-hint". He took it and asked if I was the person for the boards. "Yes." About this time, I saw in the rearview mirror, the Redneck fellow I mentioned in a pervious post coming out of the back of the building with a "what does she think she's doing" look on his face. (Hey, this was my first time getting boards!) Anyway, with the directions straightened out, I drove on back and got loaded.

That was fun :) Redneck (I have to give them nicknames--it helps in the story-telling) put the first 16 foot pine board in the back (16' is the only length for pine). He made some mention about tying them down and I crawled into the back of the truck, "I have a chain here." I started pulling it out from under the fence posts, while stradling the board. All of a sudden, I realized that Redneck had reached out and grabbed the board. I'm glad he did, or I would have gotten a rude shock! Anyway, I looked over my shoulder at him and we both grinned and laughed. I said something to the effect of "Thanks--that would have been uncomfortable!"

As he headed off to get the second board, I sat on the edge of the truck and put my foot on the one already in there. The old man came up and within minutes, he and Redneck had my five boards loaded. I wrapped the chain around them (the boards, of course!) and the Ol'man said something about getting some rope to tie them in better. Very well, I was to drive to the front of the barn for that process. Redneck sat in the back of the truck and held the boards down and helped with directions as I backed up two or three times to maneurver in a tight spot. Up at the front of the barn, Redneck and Ol'man proficently got me ready to head out. Drummer-dude showed up and got some pine sap on his hand--and made a semi-big deal out of it. Both of the other men baiscally said, "It's just pine sap--no biggie." I wonder if Drummer-dude felt the "what a whimp" coming off me.

Anyway, I got home without knocking into anything or anybody with the (at least) six feet of board sticking out of the bed--at an angle. I'll have to let the old man know I had no problems next time I go to Smith's :)

I promptly put some of those boards to work, fixing a section of the chute in the pens. Last time we worked cows, Daddy just about got hit in the head with that broken board. 


This morning, ten minutes before my alarm was set to go off (6:oo), Savannah opened my door and told me it was time to get up--Granddaddy was trying to rouse us :) (Maybe that was why I was mostly awake anyway.) Anyhow, after dressing and having breakfast and coffee, we started out to push the cows into the pens. (By the way, the cows put themselves in the trap last night! There was no need for the bag of pellets...) Just then Ricky and Tommy showed up. Ricky has a real nice diesel Dodge Ram pickup :) So three pick-up trucks holding a total of five people, headed to the pasture. The cows worked real nice today.

Once we had the cows in the pens, I strolled around doing a few last minute things while the fellas (and one gal) drove around the way we always do. Here's the work order: Granddaddy was on the squeeze-chute tailgate (through which we let the cows out), Tommy was medicating the cows, Ricky was working the hopper gate (from up on the fence--he does it different--but it is actually safer), Savannah ran the beef gate, and I did any extra leg work (i.e. pushing cows from one holding pen to the next, encouraging them up the chute, climbing up the fence on the other end of the hopper to encourage the cows to exit). We started by parting the calves from the cows. As we pushed the cows up the chute, Tommy sprayed them with the worm poison. Once all the cows were finished (we forgot to count them!), Granddaddy came up to the hopper and basically ran that gate and made the call on which calves went to market. Ricky and I did the parting. At one point, I was standing there and one of the white calves was standing on my spur! I couldn't move and he wouldn't :) I guess it is good 'hopper experience' to work with the calves like that--a good starting place. They won't hurt you as bad as a grown cow will.

After that Savannah and I went with Ricky to Al C.'s place to pick up his trailer (I guess Ricky always uses Al's trailer). I was in the front so I got gate-duty. Fine with me :) Then we came back and loaded the calves and took them to market! I rode with Ricky and Tommy, while Savannah drove Granddaddy. Granddaddy was seller 19. The auction starts at noon and it was about 9:30 or 10:00 when we got there. Somebody said something about not many people would be bringing calves in today because of some beef convention going on. So, hopefully the prices will be real good. Oh, by the way, the load was 16 calves. There was another one that for some reason Granddaddy said to keep--it was a bull and big enough to send. But like Ricky said, it was good for Granddaddy to be out there and making those decisions. I certainly agree--even though I disregarded the order to leave a particular gate open...I had previous orders from Daddy. I'm going to rotate cows this summer and now is as good a time as ever to get started!

Savannah and I played some music...Granddaddy slept through (at least most of it). He is tired; it was big day for him.

I love working cows!


Friday was J.P. and Debora's wedding; which we attended. The story of the day is as follows...

We arrived at the S.'s house and ate lunch. Shortly thereafter we piled into the car to head to Clearwater. We met up with a young fellow named Charlie for coffee at Starbucks. I say this at the risk of sounding totally not hip--this was the very first time I have put foot inside a Starbucks. The coffee was good. We must have sat there for two hours while the conversation rolled freely.

At the end of that time we had to leave to make it to the 6:00 wedding on time. Turns out the 6:00 wedding was actually scheduled for 6:30; but it didn't get underway til closer to 7:30!! As Tope told us later--for Haitians it is culturally acceptable thing to be anywhere from 1-2 hour late. (So...if you want an event to come off at 6, you should tell them 4!)

J.P. and Debora had a beach wedding--neither one had ever attended a beach wedding before so they wanted something different. It was a beautiful event even with the rain. At least it didn't pour down rain, but rather just sprinkled. Debora was just georgeous and J.P. looked debonair. Andre became an unoffical part of the wedding party because he held the umbrella for Dr. T. It was kind of funny:)

The ceremony was held on the beach (of course!) in a heart drawn in the sand and lined with flowers and shells. I will post pictures once I take my stick to Savannah's laptop. (Besides, I think I had better use the big computer...it would literally take me ALL DAY to post them on this one.) I helped Mr. S. get the video camera set up early on. He had to stand there holding an umbrella over it most of the time...

I am having a difficult time putting into words the dee-lightful time we had pre- and during the ceremony. The entire day was great. It is always a ball to hang out with the S.'s no matter what the occasion.

Random things about the ceremony: J.P and Debora hired a duo to play music for the wedding. I think they were a father and son...the elder playing the cello and the younger the classical guitar. (Which I believe was a Cordoba like mine! Only this one had an amp jack.) They played beautiful music like Bach's "Minuet in G" and Pachabel's "Canon in D" (my Favorite!) During the exchange of vows (or part of them at any rate), J.P. held this big multi-colored umbrella over them--it was sweet.

What was so awesome was the entire lack of racial tension--black people and white people rubbing elbows, laughing with each other (even when the latter's umbrella is unkindly--though unhelpably--dripping on the former), and rejoicing with one another.

The reception got started around 9 or so and ended shortly after 11 p.m. I blew my diet--I ate some rice. I really needed to eat, so I did. I think Savannah and I probably should do the GAPS introducry phase this week. It wouldn't hurt. The dancing afterwards was stuff that we didn't know, so we sat out--expect for the first song. I had done this dance at my cousin Beth's wedding several years ago. You should have seen J.P. bouncing around out there! It was hilarious!

It was about 12:30 by the time we got back to the S.'s house and closer to 1 (if not after) by the time everyone got to bed.

Saturday was a slow day...Mrs. S. made a delightful breakfast for us and I will be honest, I cleaned up the leftovers. However, I also washed the dishes (all three meals we ate with them). Mr. S. jokingly said that Mrs. S. wouldn't want me to go home since I took care of the dishes :) I don't think they would really--I eat a lot!!

Later, Dave and Lucy came over so Dave could get a hair cut. Dave also put something on the S.'s computers while Mrs. S., Savannah, and Lucy went to the store for lunch material. We (minus Dave and Lucy) had lunch not long after they got back. It was about 2 by the time Savannah and I finally turned our tired noses back home.

After we got home I curled up in front of the computer to watch "As You Like It", my favorite Shakespeare play. I'll write a review on it here in a bit.

Anyway, the weekend was tiring, but throughly enjoyable. It is probably actually a good thing that we decided not to try to mooch a ride to General Assembly. We really wanted to go, but decided it wouldn't be best.


P.S. Grrr...irritation has jumped me...
We just found out that my uncle has been over here this afternoon...and he must have taken the cat food!! It has simply disappeared. WHY would he take the cat's food??
That's right...I got out of bed busy (practically--actually it is post-Bible time when I get busy).

The morning started with me planning out the remainder of my day...as soon as I put my breakfast away and washed the dishes, I went outside and got ready to poke off for our place. Granddaddy had started mowing and ran out of gas about 10 feet from the barn. I helped Savannah with the gas can. I was halfway down the driveway when I remembered that we needed to shut a certain gate in the pasture in preperation for working cows (hopefully) next week. So I turned around in the drive and zipped back up. Savannah got in the truck with me and we went and closed the gate. When we got back to the house, Granddaddy had gotten the lawm mower stuck in the fence; the yard kind of drops off into the pasture in that corner and apparently one wheel had dropped over and pulled the rest of it into the fence. We pulled and pushed it out of there--then it wouldn't start. So I left and Savannah hauled the thing back to the barn and hooked it up to the battery charger.

Once at our place I opened up the honey house and barn and hooked up the Kubota to the battery charger--so I could mow later in the day. Then I meandered back over here and managed to get the fire started in the horse lot. I was planning on burning some more today, but it poured down rain again last night so the wood will be too wet. *shrug*

I worked on that til lunch time, coming in a couple of times to get some water and watch Cannon for a few moments at a time. After lunch I washed the dishes...as usual.

Then the real adventure began: First I cleared out the back of the pick-up (much needed) and swept it as best I could--wet sand is hard to sweep. Second, I headed for town.

I went to Smith's first for 20 fence posts. I walked in and asked for 20 posts. The older gentleman working the counter asked me what size I wanted. I went, "Umm, the ones that are about this big around." (Holding my fingers up in a circle). He laughed. While laughing he repeated my hand motions and said, "This big around?" I said something stupid and inconsequental at this point (I can't remember what). But anyway, he got me straightened out...now I know that next time I need to ask for 3-3 1/2" posts :)

Next he asked me how I was going to pay and I told him to put it on Granddaddy's account. He said, "I should have known that. You're [his] granddaughter, right?" "Yes." "Is that your Dad who comes in?" "Yes." "You look kind of like him." What is funny about this conversation is that last time I was at Smith's, this same gentleman asked me how Granddaddy was--without me letting on in any way, shape, or form who I was. It must have been the pick-up truck.

The posts were loaded by two young feller's. The older one I have seen before--a rather average looking redneck. The younger one--who looked to be about 15--I had not seen before. He is one of these very fair-skinned people and as such he was covered in freckles. Looks like he's from Irish stock--down to the short, broad shoulderedness.

From Smith's I went to Bryan's for horse feed. That was a painless opperation. Then I went to our place. Once there I cranked the Kubota and mowed. The cows were anxiously waiting for me to rake up the grass and pitch it over the fence.

Snip was happy to see the feed I brought with me. I took him out of the front pasture where he was, back to the pens and run. On the way across the lot, we paused and he ate a bunch of mineral.

I really was flithy. I was soaked with sweat and therefore was plastered with dirt. I've heard it said that ladies don't sweat, they either 'glow' or 'prespire'. Sorry, folks; I don't do either--I sweat.

Today, I plan on at least getting started with building the fence around the horse lot. I like this kind of work :) :) 


I have seen our elusive calf!! It is a heifer...a little tiny, white heifer with faint carmel colored spots. As she gets older she will get a little more buff in color.

I went over to our place to open up the honey house and empty the trash-can we put under the leak (that can was almost half full!). Savannah had told me to air the house too, but I though it was still dryer inside the house, so I didn't do that. I did gather some stuff for my 4th of July costume (we are having a party!!). After I opened the honey house I went and sat on the back of the truck and read a lovely epistle that I got in the mail. I giggled over some things, grinned over others, and got that stinker look in my eye at other points. When I was done reading it I closed the honey house back up and left.

At some point this afternoon I went out under the trees and practiced the Declaration of Independence. I went through it twice--the second time through I got all kinds of ant bites on my feet. Boy, was I itchy! Another couple of days, and I think I can pass the book off to Savannah. I will certainly still need prompting, but I'm already using it as a crutch in some places. I have done enough public speaking to know when to pitch the script and have someone prompt--you actually get stuff memorized better that way I think. (I will be quite honest, I have to work on the pronunciation of some of those words--like 'magnanimity'. *grin*)

I made the fish-cakes for supper (they were pretty good, if I do say so myself)...but that just sounds like bragging :)