The hen coop is well underway. We didn't finish today because we ran out of wire and I thought we'd wait and ask Mama a few questions before we continued. Anyway, here are the pictures from today's adventure.
What we started with...
My tape measure doesn't have a lock swtich on it, so I have to improvise. :)
We cut four strips of wire that were roughly 12.5 or 13 feet long...
Then we laid them out like this over the 'ridge' pipe...
And wired them down...
This was probably the trickiest part. Katie gamely undertook to hold the 12' 2" PVC ridge poll up while I wired it to the top of the triangle. She managed to get this really good shot of herself after I had the first end wired.
Wiring the opposite end.
For me, this was the most uncomfortable part...I'm fine up a ladder so long as it has NO wiggle. Here it was a tad jiggly, so I had Katherine steady it for me. She's terrible cute with her glasses on the top of her head!
"Don't lean over TOO far, Racheal..." I was wiring to the middle sections of the triangle.
This isn't a very good shot of what we finished with, but it'll have to do. As you can see, the ends are open--we still have to rig that up somehow; more wire of course. I have some plastic stuff, but I'm not sure that won't get used in the horse trailer...
And in closing, how about a picture of a lovely old oak?


Well, we pretty much got the rooster coop done today! I have pictures to prove it...
This is what we started with this morning...wire on three sides and the top wire hanging down inside.
We added a few more support bars and then started putting the wire back on. We had to patch it some, but it worked fine!
So....I was goofing off with the PVC pipe cutters. (Great tool, by the way!!)
Cutting pipe...I was sitting on a feed sack because the grass was still wet from the dew!
Drilling holes in the ends of support pipes.
Inside the coop...I was talking to Katherine.
Ah, there she is!
Cutting a piece of chicken wire to patch the side.
Katherine 'sewing' the sides where the different peices of chicken wire came together. (That is my uncle's boat in the back-ground...)
The finished project!! (Minus however I'm going to practically close the 'door'--the end facing you.)
The state of our hands...mine are a tad more scratched up than Katherine's.
So this one really has nothing to do with chicken coops... :P
It is just the author...having fun!


No pictures tonight...but more words. :)

After lunch, Katherine and I headed out to work on the rooster coop. I was hoping we would be all done with it tonight, but it didn't work out that way. We started by putting wire around the whole thing, length-ways, starting at one end and wraping it around back to that same end, leaving the end open. (That's my 'door' end!) We put about six inches down on the ground as an extra deterrent for critters and wired the thing on. Katherine spent a good deal of time 'sewing' the wire to the bottom pipe with the thin, very supple wire that came wrapped around the chicken-wire itself.  Meanwhile, I was going around wiring it to the corners. Mama dropped by as she and Savannah were head to town and suggested support bars in the middle of my ten-foot sections. out came the drill, the pipe cutters, the nails, and the hammer. I didn't need to cut another peice of pipe since I had two four foot sections laying around already. I drilled holes in either end of the four foot sections and roughly in the middle of my ten foot top and bottom pipes. Katherine poked the nails through and I hammered them down.

Then we went back to, if  you've ever worked with wire, you know the state one's hands get. Soon we both had blood on our hands. Somehow, Katherine actually managed to get scratched more than I did...but I have some doozy's alright. Katie went in to get a band-aid for her arm at one point and came back with another poked in her pocket. That was providential because a few minutes later I really got a walloping cut on my right index finger. With that bandaged up I went right back to work.

We were almost done with all the wiring when Mama got home and came and looked at our progress and made some more suggestions. If you know me at all, you know that when I'm hungry and getting tired, suggestions aren't always the best received. Well, I bit down on that growing, "aww....just leave me alone!" feeling, and actually looked at what she was pointing out and laughed instead of growled. really did need cross bars to keep it from sagging like that. I cut some more pipe (oh, by now my hands were so tired from cutting electric wire--what we are using to tie the chicken wire on with--that I had to use the ground to help me cut the pipe)...mind you, sitting inside  the three foot (plus a few inches) high area. Then I drilled some more holes, Katherine poked the nails through, and I pounded them.

We didn't was time for dinner and we were hungry (we never did stop and have that suggested apple break...go figure.) Anyway, it shouldn't take too much longer to finish--though I'm not sure we'll get it done tomorrow because we have to go someplace tomorrow afternoon.

I will post pictures when it is done! (Would have had pictures today only Katie left her camera across the creek!)


Greetings's been a while, hasn't it? Anyway, I got around to the next step on the coops today. The "roo" (rooster) coop's frame was assembled and I later went to town and got the wire (it's green!)...but instead of putting the wire on, I rode Snip.
The Materials...
Rooster coop frame
I was going to write further, but since I'm Skyping with Daddy, I'll save that for later... :)


That's right...I got my little chickens this morning! 

While cooking either Savannah or Granddaddy's breakfast this morning, I meandered out to my desk (where I keep my cellphone) and flipped it open. Sure enough, I had missed calls and a voicemail telling me that my chicks were in at the post office. I went ahead and ate breakfast myself, loaded some stuff (i.e. chick feed, chick grit, cow feed, and a hearty cardboard box) into the back of the truck, and roared off. 

As of yesterday afternoon, we were going to put the chicks in the horse trailer as a the time we went to bed last night, the plan had changed. Or rather, reverted to my original plan with a few minor detail differences. 

Upon reaching the other house, I first fed the cows, then hauled the box out and hurried out to the barn were Mama said Daddy had told her he had another one. I found it without any problem and didn't even see any spiders. Then I rushed back to the garage with it, and started getting set up. Mama told me to go on and get the chicks and she would finish setting up. She also warned me not to have a wreak because I was in such a hurry... 

I got to the post office and had to wait while a couple other people went through the line ahead of me. By the time it was my turn, there were a couple people behind me. I stepped up to the counter and said, "I'm here to pick up a shipment of chickens." After getting my name, the man behind the counter headed to the back to find them. I heard the peeping before he showed up again and it made me grin. In the meantime, I had a short exchange with the three people behind me. One was a older black lady who has such a pretty smile. She said she used to 'do that' [chickens] and that she used to get Rhode Island Reds. When I told her mine (half of them) are Rhode Island Reds, she seemed so pleased! She then proceeded to remark that she would have to do this again once she retired. The other people, probably a couple from up north someplace (they didn't exactly look or feel like locals) asked me a few questions too...when I was going out, the gentleman went and opened the door for me. It was unexpected, but appreciated. 

I had to stop by over here to pick up some apple cider vinegar and garlic to make a home-made version of an electrolyte solution. I got across the creek and Mom mixed up the solution (I was getting the lights set up). Once done with that, I started unpacking the chicks, dipping each one's beak into the electrolyte solution water until I determined they'd gotten a drink, then I set them down into their boxes. 

My roosters are Rhode Island Reds and my hens New Hampshire Reds...I got muddled in my thinking and thought I had gotten half Rhode Island Red hens and half Rhode Island Red roosters (the same with the New Hampshire Reds) I split them up that way. And then I got to looking at the label on the inside of the box. Katherine and I got them straightened out. I think I still have at least one rooster in the with the hens, but since the top of his beak was a little bloody, I'm fine with leaving him in there. The hens don't seem as vicious, but they sure were more stubborn about starting to drink! :P

McMurry Hatchery always includes a free 'exotic' chick in their orders...I think the one I got is a Brahman. We had a couple of those two years ago...the one hen was dumb as a box of rocks. I rather liked the roosters, they weren't so bad. After we butchered them (at about 5 lbs or so) we found out that it isn't unusual for them to get up to 10 pounds!
New Hampshire Red...they'll change colors. :)
The one I suspect is a Brahman...
Take a drink, little chicky...
Little fuzzies...
Rhode Island Red
And just's my two week old calf!
There you have it! Now, I'm off to go run feed store errands...


Well, actually this is Part 2, since I started on the coops two weeks ago. Anyway, with Katherine's help, the frame of the first one is finished. Problem didn't work like it was supposed to!

For starters, it was supposed to be shaped something like this:
My cute as a button assistant...
You know, I can be rather goofy sometimes...
We had all but one hoop (there were supposed to be 5) together, when they started snapping! 1 inch 40 SD PVC pipe popping is rather startling. This was the result...
Sooo...we brain-stormed...I called Daddy...and this is what we ended up doing: We made a triangle out of the pipe (instead of arches). I drilled holes through the ends, stuck a nail through, and pounded it down. 
I started by sawing off the one unbroken pipe.
Then I drilled holes in the top of the pipes...
(How'd you like those orange ear-plugs? )
Pounding away...(I had to have another pair of gloves held against the head of the nail to keep from hurting myself.)
Finished frame!
It wasn't that hot...I just thought this one was a cool picture! (I was still up the ladder when Katherine took it.)
Well, there you have it...we still have to finish...but that'll come in Part 2.

Whew! Mama and I had an interesting morning this morning...we got a 'new' antenna hooked up to Granddaddy's TV. It happened like this...

I got over to our place around 9:15 to feed the cows and afterwards eat my breakfast. While chomping down on my eggs, cheese, and sauerkraut, Mama told me that we were going to take the antenna that Daddy had rigged up for the RV over to Granddaddy's and hook that up to his TV. 

First we had to pull the thing out of the RV tent. Next we had to take it apart at approximently the middle; and I still had pipe stuck about six feet over the the cab of the pick-up. I drove rather slowly on the way home (I have three, you know, so this is an interesting statement!) and had fun maneuvering the oaks in the driveway. (Cowboy-hatted head hanging out the drivers window...)

Anyway, Mama arrived in the red car shortly after I got there and we put the antenna back together. I made a couple trips to the barn for the right sized wrenches; I also ended up going back for post hole diggers, electricians tape, zip-ties (which didn't get used), and a ladder. I've determined that I have developed a rather strange gait when walking fast in boots--I'm not sure it's bow-legged (I haven't ridden enough to be bow-legged!), but it's similar. I move much faster when swaggering like that. However, I wasn't planning on analyzing my walking...

After trying a couple different things and talking to Daddy on the phone at least twice, we decided to strap this long antenna to the old dead oak out there. There went three of my very nice ratchet straps. I will have to get some more now; not a problem since I am headed for Wal-Mart and Bryan's after I get off here for a battery for the Kubota, Round-up, gas, and hay for my cows.

Anyway, I found out at the bottom of the other antenna what the problem was. (I had checked this connection before, but I hadn't totally taken it apart, therefore I missed this.) The connector and the coax cable from that disk-shaped antenna were burnt. In other words, it got hit by lightening sometime early this fall (when we started having TV problems.) However, Mama wasn't going to climb that tower out back and I wasn't too keen on the idea either, so we just went with putting this other one up. If I had thought I could reach the connections up top, I would have given the climb a try (even though I'm not so fond of heights), but when Mama told me that Daddy had to stand on tip-toe to reach that connection, I knew I might as well not waste the effort. I'm shorter than he is and I certainly don't make up for that with the length of my arms. 

The long and the short of it is that Granddaddy now has more channels than he knows what to do with--and I'm going to have to put up with cartoons again! (I am going to stay on top of changing channels and volume control while he's asleep--never fear! :D)

Well, I ought to get to town so I can get to mowing...see ya'll later!


No...even though that was the plan. I put the Kubota on the charger this morning, then spent the majority of the day doing something else. 

The most exciting thing was cutting some plastic panels to go up in the kitchen. We replaced the old yellowed plastic cover over the florescent bulbs along the length of the kitchen ceiling. 

Mama had bought some supposedly 24x24 inch panels at Lowe's last night, but they turned out a couple inches shorter than that each side. So...we went to Do it Best where they had some that only needed to be cut in half. As we walked in, I looked up to see a familiar face! "Hello, Mr. Ricky!" 

While Mama went on about the shopping, I stood and talked to Mr. Ricky about cows for a few minutes. It's pretty cool to go to town and run into people you actually's something of a new experience for me. 

When checking out, the lady behind the counter addressed me by my first name. That too was kind of funny. I guess I've used the credit card in there enough that they know my name! :D

We got home and I cut the panels and Mama put them up. Then we went back over to our place. I attempted to crank the tractor. Nothin'. Didn't even turn over. So...I got the car, hooked it up, and tried that way. No go. 

I ended up removing the battery (that was a rather interesting job--I couldn't find the right sized wrench for the longest time.) Tomorrow, I will get a new one--and hopefully, a roll of hay for my cows. 


Greetings, dear readers! 

I'm rather tired this morning due to the past weekend, but that does not dull my enthusiasm nor my story-telling capabilities (at least at the moment). I'll begin on Friday.

Friday morning, I packed the Cadillac. By the time I was done, the right side of the rear window was completely blocked. Poor Katherine had to be rather squished into the back seat with Savannah's ball dress dangling into her lap and some food stuffs under her feet. (Of course, she wasn't the only one with stuff under her feet. I had the pressure cooker [for heating up the chili] under my feet--both to and from the event.) We left after lunch and it took us longer to get there than we expected; partially because we got behind three separate slow-moving vehicles in places that we couldn't go around them.

We arrived at the event and registered. I was so excited and besides that a chilly wind was blowing, that I was shaking so bad that I was having difficulty writing. I was shivering...but it really wasn't that cold. I shelled out the $5 per person 'donation'. It's kind of my job to pay....

We found that the map they gave us was backwards, but found our people without too much trouble anyway. Savannah was driving (of course) and I was keeping my eyes peeled for the familiar trailers and trucks--and that green GMC camper of the L's. I really like the color of that thing.

We pulled in, said "Hello" to a few folks, introduced Katherine, and started putting the tents up. Elden came and helped us get them up (thank-you!). It was one of those times for me to remember to let the boys be gentlemen--I'm so used to doing things myself. (Which reminds me, I told someone, I forget who, that I was a "stand-in for a ranch hand" and they were very surprised. It amused me. *grins*)

We met Erica's Great Dane, Blue. I like that dog--he's nice. At one point, I guess it was yesterday morning, I was sitting next to Erica and Blue put his head in my lap. Then I said something backwards and set myself to laughing...I was talking to the dog and said, "Yeah, my head's big enough for your lap." What I meant to say was, "My lap is big enough for your head"! 

Friday night, I was freezing...on top of that, I could only lay on either my back or right side, because when I attempted the left side, my back started bothering me. Still, I slept alright (it has actually surprised me how well I sleep on the ground.) Saturday morning, before we got up, I was talking to Savannah (about what I can't recall), and I kind of rolled over and peered at Katherine..."I think Katie is still asleep."  Out of the depths of her sleeping bag came this: "Not for long if you keep talking." It made me laugh.

Anyhow, Saturday morning went something like this...after breakfast, we strolled down and watched colors. Colors is when the two opposing armies gather in the morning for the raising of the flags. (The Federal flag was about twice the size of the Confederate Stars and Bars and higher.) It appears that there was some talk betwixt the officers from both sides; almost as if the Yankee officers were reviewing the Confederate soldiers and vice versa.

After colors, we dropped by Mrs. Joanna's sutlery where Katherine found herself a nice hat--I didn't have enough cash on hand to pay for it, so Katherine went off to get hers...Savannah had gone off someplace to talk to someone else. I hung around the sutlery and talked to Mrs. Joanna for a while--about half of that being about my socks. She is quite willing to put them out...she later had Walter C look them over and said he was impressed with them...(Walter--who still owes me a dance from Ocklawaha, by the way--is "Mr. Authenticity". ;D) I saw Walter a couple times Sunday, but if he saw me he didn't let his brother Tom, he has great hat and wears it at a studied angle. However, unlike Tom, he's quite talkative. 

Anyway, while Katherine was gone and after it got settled that Mrs. K would try to sell my socks, I strolled out and found myself a big 'CSA' button for my secession cockade. Shortly after that, Dana L and Amanda C caught me and we went to the ladies tea. I called Savannah at some point before it was really going to let her know where I was and that Katherine might be wandering around--however, Savannah had Katherine and had bought her the hat! Katherine soon joined us at the ladies tea. The subject was children's clothing and games and they had a mini-fashion show. Towards the end, during the raffle (during which I won a hat form made out of buckram), I heard my cell-phone ringing in my purse (period draw-string thing), I hopped up and slipped out. I somehow managed to dump the entire contents of my bag out onto the ground when I got my phone out. I answered it and on the other end was 'brother' Matt. He and Leah had come out! I was so glad. We met out in front of 'Pipers Pub' (root beer stand). Katherine showed up someplace in here and then we went for a quick stroll through the camps.

Now, I will tell you, walking through the Yankee camp was rather...interesting. Particularly when we got to where the "Maine" boys were set up and I made eye contact with Captain S. I'm pretty sure he knows I'm Confederate...anyway, the look I got was almost quizzical. I think I smiled kind of like I was embarrassed (I was a little!) and looked down real quick. 

In the Confederate camp, I told Leah mainly (Matt was hungry and so wasn't paying way too much attention :D) about the three Confederate national flags...and other flags--such as the 2nd Florida's regimental flag and how the place names on it (like Chancellorsville) were battles they had fought in. 

I then hauled them back and introduced them to Mr. Joe and the rest before they headed off for lunch. We ourselves ate shortly after that and then readied to go watch/film the battle. 

There was a crush of people. I first set up in the VIP 'box'  (after I got permission to), then Katherine came down to get me--she and Savannah (I couldn't see them!) had a spot saved for me up the hill. Well, I went up there, but I was soon back in the VIP box because I was in the way. I wasn't even asked to move politely either. I was treated with something like disrespect by a couple of baby boomers. It hurt and left me in something of a bad mood. I was trying not to cry by the time I was back in the VIP box. Once there I soon began feeling better after talking to a Boy Scout leader who was there with his son and three daughters. 

I got some footage, but I didn't go overboard with it. I did take a couple of still pictures of the Confederate cannon WAY across the field with the battle flag waving. That was pretty cool. 

I was stationed directly behind the Federal artillery (again! I love the cannon), so I got engulfed in sulfur smoke time and time again. I got it in my eyes, in my ears, in my mouth, and up my nose. I think my blouse also took on a gray tinge. I had forgotten my ear-plugs, but I didn't have too much trouble with the noise this time.

After the battle, Katherine and I stayed around long enough to watch them launch 6 anvils, all at the same time, into the air. That was louder than anything else. Now, if you've never seen a blacksmith's anvil hurtling straight up into the air by a 1+ pound powder charge, you've missed an interesting sight. However, it won't kill you if you never see it. The "Anvil Shoot" was apparently something folks used to do around the 4th of July and such like (according to the MC). You know what I think? American's like to make loud noises with black powder. :D

The battle was almost two hours long...of our people, only Mr. Doug, Mr. L, and Mr. B were on the field. I think I heard that Elden didn't have his rifle, so he didn't participate. Later, I heard Mr. L talking and he said he 'died' twice--on the berms--so he got filled full of goat-heads. (Only, I think he called them something else...)

By the time the battle was over, it was about time to start thinking about supper. I ate more food then my corset comfortably allows, but in the long run, I'm glad I did. About 7 we started getting ready for the dance. Amanda came out dressed in a pretty red gown that was her mothers...Dana in her gold gown. Me...well, I showed up in a full hoop with a bright red secession cockade on the waist of my blue dress. :) Savannah's lovely silk gown was admired again. Then we were off. On the way, Savannah had to have her skirt adjusted. Amanda's hoop (her mother's) was sliding down and sticking out from under her dress. When we (somehow Miss 'Manda and I reached the big tent before Savannah and Katherine) got there, I crowded the both of us into one of those large handicap accessible porta-johns (the door wouldn't close...and I'm so glad they had just cleaned them out!) and tried to fix her up. No didn't work. (Now, if I'd a just had a safety-pin....)

The ball was well, exactly that...a ball! (Sorry, no pictures of that!) Savannah danced quite a bit with Timothy, the Union artillery Corporal she danced with at Suwanee. Who else she danced with I didn't notice. Katherine primarily danced with an older Confederate gentleman, Mr. Richard...he danced with me a few times too, but I'll get to that. Katie was up against the wall of the tent early on (she and Savannah were on the opposite side as Amanda and I), so I sent Amanda across (I would have been bumping too many people with my hoops) to tell her to 'get off the wall'. Amanda, being Amanda, charged off happily to do as I asked. 

As usual we started with the Grand March. I did that with Ethan, a youngster in company with the B family. I think he's about 10. I'm not too sure he enjoyed the Grand March--he thought it was complicated! (It's least I don't think so!) The next thing was a Virginia Reel (I think--the order of these things can get mixed up in my memories).  I did that with a chubby Union boy in a Glengerry cap.  He doffed his cap to honor his partner (I liked that!) and when the head couple sashayed the set. In his round face, he had a pair of blue eyes...he didn't smile, but I do think he was enjoying himself. 

I believe it was directly after this dance that I sat two out...a waltz was next when Zack, one of the "Maine" boys (and now it is suspected that he is Capt. S's son--Savannah heard him call him 'Dad'), came over and asked me to dance. Well, Yankee or no Yankee, I said yes; especially after he said, "I saw that you sat two dances out..." (Capt. S is good for those boys--all his soldiers [at least the ones' I've had contact with] are fairly gentlemanly.) I told Zack that I don't waltz very well, but we got along alright. I had a pretty good conversation with him...I asked him what rank he was (I was attempting first person impersonation somewhat) and he said he was a Pvt., but he was working on going up the ranks to make captain (this too was somewhat first person impersonation). The next thing that fell out of my mouth was, "My daddy's a Sgt." (Hopefully, it didn't come across coquettish...I am pretty proud of my daddy.) Naturally, his next question was, "What regiment?" Here I had to laugh--I'm constantly backing myself into corners like this--there went all the first person impression stuff! I explained that Daddy really is a soldier (retired), but this whole thing loosened both of our tongues and we kept talking on and off. I found out that he's 18 (after he asked me what grade I was in and I told him I'm graduated from high school and I'm 21--to which he said, "There's not much difference there [age wise]") and that he is going into the Marines pretty soon. He said something about having to convince his mom that it's not a foregone conclusion that he's going to get killed--though it's a risk that 'we' (he already speaks of himself as a Marine) have to accept. 

During this time, he would ask occasionally, "You want to try a spin?" Of course I did! So, he would spin me--that's fun, particularly in a hoop; it feels very graceful so long as you aren't squished between two other hoops in the Patty Cake Polka (but that'll come...) Capt. S was waltzing by with Mary (a lady I've seen at all the events) about the time Zack spun me once...and he was like, "we can do that" and then he spun Mary. Zack laughed at him saying, "Not bad, but we do better!" (Essentially.) I laughed then and said, "I'm not sure about that!" At the end of the dance, we bowed and curtsied respectively, and Zack said he would be back for another dance, "If I'm lucky enough..." Flattery! Anyway, it worked and I told him I'd be pleased (more or less). 

*insert Racheal laughing at herself and the Highlander Private...*

Over the course of the evening, I danced with Mr. Joe K's nephew Joe at least twice--I'm positive that young man is named after his uncle. If he wasn't, he should have been...he looks just like him, talks like him, and even has the same dimples peeking out of his beard! Joe is 28 and he was having a hoot teasing Amanda--whom he's known since she was an itty-bitty girl. After the 'Man-dance', he came back over to where Amanda and I were, standing complaining that some rascal (I don't remember the exact word he used; it's one I'm familiar with, but don't hear very often) had bent his hat out of shape. I kind of shrugged and said, "It can always be straightened out." He looked at me almost sternly, but laughingly and retorted, "Do you know how long it took me to get this blocked just right?" I dropped the subject since I couldn't come up with an answer for that.

Mr. L taught me how to polka! I had a ball dancing the polka and gamely stuck it out to the end though I was fixing to pass out by the time we were done. I got very overheated (not enough air-flow in that tent). I had already drank all the water I had brought with me and I didn't have any money, so I couldn't sneak out to the concession stand and get myself any. Regardless, I had a ton of fun panting my way through the polka. Savannah said I looked cute out there polkaing and that my skirt bounced just right. I guess I'll have to believe her because I couldn't see myself...and I was too busy grinning with a flushed red face to care how I looked. 

The Patty Cake Polka is quite fun, but we could have stood to have the men at arms length distance from each other because of the ladies with hoops! I was between two other girls with hoops on and trying to get three sets of hoop skirts to twirl in the same space at the same time is rather interesting. I know at one point my skirt was caught on the lowest round so my hoop was showing! That was just about as embarrassing as my corset ties showing at the back of my dress where the bodice and skirt were refusing to stay attached to one another. (I kept having Amanda and Katherine 'fix me'.) It was during the Patty Cake Polka (which I started with Mr. Richard), that I ran across Zack again. He greeted me cheerfully and though we didn't really have any time to talk, there was a mutual understanding that he'd be back for that promised dance...there were a few other fellows in this dance that I recognized and was recognized by. I'm sure there were more around the circle, but we didn't make it halfway around before the music stopped. 7 lb.s of Bacon sped it up a little too early I think. 

Anyway, after a waltz, Mr. Richard offered to buy me some water (I imagine I looked like I needed it!); but the concession was all out! They said they were working on it, so Mr. Richard basically said he'd be back to get me some after he danced with Katherine again. A dance later, Zack and a couple of his buddies were coming back from the concession area, both with two Styrofoam cups apiece. They set them down on a chair and he came over to me and asked if I were tired yet. "No, just in need of drink." He then told me that he would give me one of his cups of water, "It was just 50 cents...[so it's no big deal]." I thanked him, then we proceeded to enter the Broom Dance--another mixer. In this dance, I also danced with Timmy (the tall, broad, red-headed 15 year old you might remember from Ocklawaha), Capt. S, a Confederate kid (I also did a Virginia Reel with him), and a couple others that I can't recall.  After the dance, as I left the floor, I saw Zack, holding both cups of water, standing to the side. I didn't immediately walk over toward him, since I wanted him to initiate (after all, it was his water!), but I did glance that way once, then twice--at which point he was looking at me. He held the water out and gestured with it in such a fashion as to say, "Come over here and get it!" I did so gratefully and made sure I thanked him for it. The "Maine" boys left not too much longer after that. If I would have had an opportunity on Sunday I would have thanked him again, because that water was SO good. I really, really needed it. (I didn't even mind the coffee flavor in it being a coffee drinker.) 

As is usual, we closed the dance down. Joe walked the girls, all four of us, 'home'. Of course, he was camping in the same spot, so it wasn't out of his way. He might have walked us back anyway. I don't know...It was most assuredly after midnight by the time we got to bed. 

Sunday morning, both Savannah and I were dehydrated and exhibiting our own symptoms. However, Savannah felt so bad that she left church (which was somewhat informal partly because Rev. D wasn't sure they were actually going to do it) and went and put on her 'civies' as she put it and laid down.  We all tried to make sure we drank more that day. I'm still not quite fully re-hydrated.

We watched the battle that afternoon from the opposite end of the line...we were right there were the troops came in, so we got a little extra dirt in our faces. Around an hour before the battle started, we were already set up down there. I needed to run back to the tent for something (water most likely), and so Katherine asked me to bring her a seat when I came back. On the way back to camp, I got hung up as the Confederate troops formed up and people crowded around and took pictures. On the way back, I almost got hung up as the Union troops formed up!

Being Sunday, the Confederates won the battle. As soon as the battle was over, we headed off and started getting ready to leave. Elden and Thomas helped us take down our tents and pack stuff in the trunk. When we left, I walked around and hugged people. I didn't hug Thomas though...he was sitting there apparently trying to look small--I got quiet amusement from the laddie's head down 'you don't see me' position, so I just patted the top of his kepi. He looked up, grinned at me and gave me a two-fingered wave. That was good enough. I was mighty pleased that Micah gave me a hug--I was almost expecting to be rebuffed, but he gave me a good solid hug. I can't explain it, but I have a particular liking for that little stinker. 

We got home safely--we accidently went a different way which turned out to be smoother, faster sailing. Plans are whirling for Mt. Dora...and authentic camping!! Mr. Joe's daughter found their tents and he is eager for us to use them. From now on out, we may be setting up in authentic civilian camp. Then Olustee...we have our story planned out for that one--but this here chile is going to have to learn to speak in a more period correct manner and see if she can hold the first person impression better than she did with Herr Zack at the dance! 


Here for your perusal are some pictures of Savannah and I's 1860's ball gowns.  Mine is made from an 1860 pattern--the dress is called the "Saratoga". I really, really like it!
Savannah in her gray silk gown...
Savannah has changed her gown a bit--she took the black lace over-skirt off and made herself a black chemise. She also added the lace on the sleeves.
My session cockade (which you will see in the pictures) was just 'sitting' on the dress. It isn't completely finished--I still need a 'CSA' button (planning on purchasing one this weekend at Brooksville). This way I can't be mistook for a Yankee! (Since all my clothes are blue!) 

Katherine made my earrings; they are clip-on's since my ears, though pierced, are terribly sensitive. It's kind of cool to be able to wear earrings! (I never wore clip-on's because they always bothered me--too tight--but Katherine has figured out how to make them comfy.)
Racheal modeling the "Saratoga" dress.
Period correct--no make-up! :D
I put these close ups here so you can see the details a bit better...the white undersleeves actually belong to my chemise. 
If you are interested in getting a dress like this for little more than the price of the materials--please visit Liberty Seamstress!

I love my dress!